Find a job
Field Service Technician - Columbus, OH
Please visit our website for additional information:
Install and repair broadband communications system in compliance with company technical standards from consumer service to exterior tap locations
Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to those listed below:
- Perform new connects, reconnects, disconnects, upgrades, downgrades and change-of-service
- Install and relocate outlets
- Install or remove converters and cable modems
- Install interior and exterior wiring
- Connect peripheral equipment
- Train customers on proper use of equipment
- Monitor, repair and record system, drop, and in-house leakage
- Assure proper signal levels and picture quality
- Identify causes of picture and/or signal degradation
- Troubleshoot from consumer device to tap
- Troubleshoot, repair and replace components from tap to consumer device
- Assure system security by terminating unused ports and tag drops and locking pedestals
- Take voltage measurements
- Understand/apply FCC and NESC technical standards
- Identify and report all incidents of noncompliance (FCC, NESC, OSHA and WOW standards)
- Provide superior customer service
- Complete all tasks to WOW! quality standards
- Maintain professional appearance and behavior at all times
- Maintain excellent attendance
- Responsible for motor vehicle per company policy including equipment and tool inventory, vehicle security and vehicle maintenance
- Replaces defective/damaged tap plates and installs new taps
- Troubleshoots/repairs problems between customer equipment and the RF of the optical node.
- Tests, maintains, splices, repairs and replaces coax cable.
- Installs rigid and semi-rigid coax cable (underground and aerial).
- Troubleshoots/repairs problems with RF, AC, DC portion of forward and reverse plant for transmission levels, signal losses and other interference.
- Performs routine balancing, aligning and adjustment of components and equipment used to amplify and process signals from output of the node.
- Performs underground and aerial construction duties associated with CATV operations.
- Tests coax cable using signal level meters, volt-OHM meters, spectrum analyzers and compares findings with documentation.
- Performs network troubleshooting including ping test, trace routes and speed test.
- Installs power supply and performs field engineering walkouts.
- Other duties as assigned - which may include training other employees
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to present technical information to a non-technical audience
- Able to work independently
- Able to accurately measure distances using tapes and other measuring devices
- Able to use assigned test equipment including but not limited to signal level meter (SLM), leakage detector, volt OHM meter, sweep receiver, underground locator and TDR
- Able to accurately maintain records, logs, reports, work orders, etc.
- Able to operate office equipment, fax, copier, etc.
- Able to handle escalations and time-critical issues
- Able to read street maps
- Able to work flexible hours as required, including evenings, weekends and on-call shifts
- Must have a valid driver`s license and good driving record
Position requires a high school diploma or equivalent. One to two years of experience in the broadband communication field preferred.
Basic computer skills are preferred, including internet and email
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work while standing most of the time
- Ability to walk or work over all types of terrain, in all types of weather
- Ability to carry tools and equipment
- Ability to work in tight spaces while bending, twisting and reaching
- Ability to carry, climb and operate extension ladder (approx. 28` and 75lbs)
- Ability to differentiate between different sizes and colors of wires
- Ability to perform work in elevated places (i.e., roofs and utility poles)
- Ability to use drills, hammers, wrenches, screwdrivers and other hand tools
- Ability to work with small components
- Ability to use close vision, peripheral vision and adjust focus
- Ability to work in poorly vented areas such as attics, in extreme temperatures
- Ability to move, crawl, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, pull, push, and grasp
- Ability to lift up to 90 pounds
- Physically able to work computer equipment and test equipment
- Ability to work in environments that may contain dust, dirt, noise, insects and cleaning solutions
- Ability to work safely near power lines and electrical equipment
- Ability to drive Company vehicles in a safe manner
- Must be able to meet the physical limit requirements of personal protective equipment, aerial lift equipment, ladders and/or gaffs that may be used in this position.
WOW! is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employer
About the Company
THE WOW! STORY
WOW! is one of the nation`s leading broadband providers, serving residential, business and wholesale customers in Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kansas, Maryland and the Southeast. With an expansive portfolio of advanced services including high-speed Internet, data, voice, cloud and cable television services, the company is dedicated to delighting customers with friendly, quality service at affordable prices.
With corporate offices in Denver, WOW! has assembled a diverse and experienced management team. This team and all WOW! employees share a passion for doing things right and delighting our customers with friendly, quality service and affordable prices. Together, we are focused on building a culture at WOW! that is founded on four core values. These values are at the heart of what drives us to do our best for all of our customers.
More jobs you may likeMaintenance Technician (need to be hands on with fixing issues)
Evaluation Analyst - PART TIME - 20 Hours Per Week
Semi Truck Driver Community Outreach
Lead Generation Specialist I - Norwood, OH
Jobs in Argentina|
Jobs in Australia
Jobs in Austria
Jobs in Bahrain
Jobs in Belgium
Jobs in Brazil
Jobs in Canada
Jobs in Chile
Jobs in China
Jobs in Colombia
Jobs in Czech Republic
Jobs in Denmark|
Jobs in Finland
Jobs in France
Jobs in Germany
Jobs in Greece
Jobs in Honk Kong
Jobs in Hungary
Jobs in India
Jobs in Indonesia
Jobs in Ireland
Jobs in Israel
Jobs in Italy|
Jobs in Japan
Jobs in Korea
Jobs in Kuwait
Jobs in Luxembourg
Jobs in Malaysia
Jobs in Mexico
Jobs in Netherlands
Jobs in New Zealand
Jobs in Norway
Jobs in Oman
Jobs in Pakistan|
Jobs in Peru
Jobs in Philippines
Jobs in Poland
Jobs in Portugal
Jobs in Quatar
Jobs in Romania
Jobs in Russia
Jobs in Saudi Arabia
Jobs in Singapore
Jobs in South Africa
Jobs in Spain|
Jobs in Sweden
Jobs in Switzerland
Jobs in Taiwan
Jobs in Turkey
Jobs in the United Arab Emirates
Jobs in the United Kingdom
Jobs in the United Stated
Jobs in Venezuela